Interpreter of Maladies

Monday, February 13, 2006

The visit to the Planetarium

Its been close to an year and I have not seen the Birla Planetarium. Its 10 minutes from Masi's place-I still haven't seen it. On Saturday, when the client for whom I am doing this Non-Profit counsulting assignment failed me, I decided to go for a peek into Cal. A crowded bus brought me to Victoria (No I havent even been inside that)which alas, was closed for the day (it was just 5.05..the thing closes at 5..what bad luck). A small walk into the lateral gardens around Victoria brought me to the Birla Planetarium. Its a rotund and white building with a placard outlining the timings and languages for the presentations. I checked the watch-it was barely 5.30 but the show was Bangla. Heck, who cares, I told myself. I will just watch. Shelling out 20 bucks for the ticket, I walked inside a sparsely populated auditorium. Soon, lights were off. And then, it happened. A blanket of stars, just above my head appeared on the round surface. I watched-miraculously amazed. My eyes were wedded to the sight then and there. It might really sound funny but I have never seen stars shine so bright or felt so peaceful in darkness. In times such as ours, how many of us even have a terrace where you can lie down and look at stars. How many of us evne have the privilege to look at a clear, silent sky. I assume that was why the sight appeared so outstandingly pleasant to me. Sure, the announcer talked to us about the constellations, the planets, the galaxy and the milkyway. But I waited expectantly for the sky to turn starry again. I know the account might seem bizarre but it just seemed so naturally nice to me. It made me wonder why didn't I come here earlier sometime.

Posted by reclusive_catalyst :: 1:00 PM :: 1 Comments:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------